A dentist in Las Vegas is being accused of setting a 5-year-old girl’s mouth on fire while she underwent a routine dental procedure, according to a lawsuit filed this week.
The lawsuit against Deep Karan Dhillon was filed last week by the girl’s parents in state district court, The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported. According to court documents, the girl was at Just for Kids Dentistry & Orthodontics to have multiple crowns placed on her teeth. Dhillon used a tool known as a diamond burr designed to smooth the girl’s teeth while she was under anesthesia. However, at one point, the diamond burr sparked, causing the “throat pack in (the girl’s) mouth to ignite and produce a fire” that lasted several seconds, according to the lawsuit filed by attorneys Alison Brasier and Daven Cameron.
The lawsuit states the girl had to be rushed to University Medical Center where she was hospitalized for four days with burns to her palate and lower lip. The complaint alleges that the patient suffered burns to her epiglottis, throat, tongue, mouth, lips and “other surrounding areas.”
Some of the injuries could be “permanent and disabling,” the lawsuit states.
The family is seeking more than $15,000 in damages.