Hospital Releases Retired Red Sox Star David Ortiz

Retired Red Sox star was shot in the back last month

 David Ortiz, the retired Red Sox star who was shot in the back last month, has been released from a Boston hospital. He was sitting on a bar patio in Santo Domingo on June 9 when a gunman approached and shot him; the lead prosecutor has said Ortiz may have not been the intended target.

Ortiz immediately underwent surgery in the Dominican Republic for the removal of part of his gall bladder and intestines, then was moved to Massachusetts General the next day. He’s been operated on at least twice more, per CNN, and his wife has said that he’s “recovering well and is in good spirits.”

The Red Sox said they’ll provide an update on Ortiz’s condition in the next few days. Full-time nurses and his personal physician will attend to Ortiz, 43, during his rehabilitation and recovery, a family source told ESPN. Several arrests have been made in the Dominican Republic in connection with the shooting, including the man prosecutors say was the mastermind.


↓